Friday 26 July 2013

Fashion Weekend - Kutowa Launch

 KUTOWA DESIGNS - YATATU COLLECTION

I can hardly wait for this evening. An amazing Zambian designer, Towani, and of course a business colleague is launching her new collection, "Yatatu" which simply means Three! 

After my work-out tonight i am headed straight there (of course after a shower and a change of clothes) to secure firstly parking (lol) and a seat at the bottom of the terrace - yes, its terrace seating guys, and it is out-doors so please grab a coat or scarf to keep warm! ( i mean, assuming the weather will be like anything its been the past evenings). Stopped by last night to pick up my tickets and i must say the stage and lights look amazing.

stage and lights and terraces
Zambian Fashion has really sky rocketed and i have to say Towani of Kutowa Designs has to be one of my favorite (ready-to-wear) designers. We have seen the rise (and fall) of many Zambian designers in the recent years but really, some can hardly be called designers - their work is hardly professional  whereas others are full of surprises and entertainment - quite like Kutowa, Mo Creations and Mangishi Love ( to mention but few).  

 I have to hand it to Zambia though, we are doing big things in the fashion industry and the talent is amazing. We have so many gifted young people all full of brilliant ideas. They can learn a thing or two from Kutowa , Mangishi Love and Mo Creations and many other older designers when it comes to professionalism and delivery of a finished product whose 'T's are properly crossed and 'I's dotted. I guess it all comes with experience and patience and handwork and passion.(blah blah blah)
Anyway, this is not a rant or nothing, its simply about how excited I am for the launch tonight!

tickets

  FIRST ENCOUNTER

When I first heard and read about Towani, I quickly wrote her and asked her to feature on some project I was working on back then, I was younger, inexperienced but with a lot of soul and passion for the Fashion industry in Zambia and when she responded, I couldn't believe it.. She was so humble about it and showed up with her own transport, I did not pay her or her models anything ( I couldn't even afford her, lol), all I did was share my vision - which took a long time to come to pass (lol) but she handled me with mutual respect. I have to say even now, she still remains humble, open, happy and very hardworking its hard to not fall in love with that sort of spirit. Towani to me is an inspiration and I remain her supporter. 

 
Raw image from our First Ever shoot with Towani - photo credit: Jamiel Banda Photography
I got this cute skirt from Kutowa which I paired for the first time like that but i am definitely ready to wear it again - hmm, maybe even tonight!! #Maybe
Kutowa designs
This first collection sold Kutowa to me and when i saw the actual clothes at the shoot we had for her, I couldn't be more convinced she was who I wanted to work with. (Models L - R : The gorgeous 'retired' model Jacky, proprietor of I-emerge models, Miyanda and Wika)
For more of her work, please check out her page -Kutowa Designs - Cheers to Zambian Fashion!! See you tonight!
#Bless

7 comments:

  1. Great piece. I don't mean to be critical but the font is very hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. i actually think so too. i just cant remember how to change it. lol. but i will asap! thank U:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree too the font is really hard to read

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think i sorted it out. i hope. please confirm :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorted out. thank you so much for the feedback guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must have enjoyed your night. Still reading your posts...xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol, thanks Kakki, it was awesum. yet to review it on here

    ReplyDelete