Wednesday 23 September 2015

POLITICS OF CHANGING MY LAST NAME


When I meet him, I will know him.

He will love me like Christ loved the church, he will carry me when I am weak, we will be each other’s relief on a long busy day. He will like trees. He will smell like…..men! he will smile so wide that he will draw anyone and everyone in. His teeth will be imperfectly perfect. He will tower over me but never make me feel like a subordinate. We will be equals, partners in this thing called life….

And when I say I do… I will be happy to be called Mrs xxxxxxx. I am not giving up my independence, I am not giving up my family name.. I am still a woman, I still have my ambitions and my goals and all the wonderful things I would like to achieve, I would like to believe. I am not giving up anything, as a matter of fact, i am gaining something – gaining a whole new family that I will love and care for, a whole new set of friends that have loved him all their life. I am gaining a whole New responsibility - one that I have to carry with dignity, wear it with honor.. almost like I must give a slight bow every time someone refers to me as Mrs xxxxxxxx. I am a winner!

And if changing my name to His makes us happy, I will. It’s not a hard and fast rule – its beautiful. I will not be less of myself, a Nakazweh / Sikazweh because my last name changed.. Oh dear me, I will be blessed to be called his Wife.

And when God blesses us with children, we will raise them the best way we can…and they will carry OUR last name.. and their kids will carry our name and the list will go on until the last of us.

So if you ask me again why I will change my last name, I will say it’s because I can!

...and I ask you, why the politics?

No comments:

Post a Comment